Published on March 3rd, 2012 | by BeScientist.info1
Tricks for drawing Lewis structures easily?
Hello everyone, In this tutorial I will show you how to easily draw Lewis Structures of chemical compounds. There are few steps I will Show you step by step.
Lets take an example as HCN. T draw Lewis Structure follow these steps as shown below:
1) Count all the valance electrons in all the atoms.
These are the atomic structures of Hydrogen, Oxygen and Nitrogen respectively. So the valance electrons of Hydrogen is 1, Oxygen is 4 and nitrogen is 5. So, the total electron number is 10.
2) Place less Electronegative element in the middle and other atoms around the electronegative atom and give single bond between them.
3) Now check the Octate of all the elements.
4) Now see, there was 10 total electrons and 4 of them is consumed by two single bonds. Now We have to share six leftover electrons among Carbon and Nitrogen such that, Nitrogen gets 6 and carbon gets 4 electrons. The only way is to form Covalent bond( bond formed by sharing) because we don’t have 6+4=10 electrons, we have just 6 electrons.
5) So, Carbon needs 4 electrons, that means 2 bonds between Carbon and Nitrogen and 2 electrons are left which are given to Nitrogen.
6) Now check all the numbers of electrons in all atoms. There will be exactly 8 or 2 electrons in each atom
carbon=4 bonds=8 electrons
Nitrogen=3 bonds+2 lone pair electrons=8 electrons
Hydrogen=1 bond=2 electron( deplete)
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION POST YOUR QUESTION IN THE FORUM
You are done!!!!!
Here I have uploaded images of Lewis Structure of Various compounds: